I've tested poezio but I don't like it, what can I do?
- Explain what you don't like, on the XMPP chatroom or on the bugtracker.
- Try an other client that you could like:
- Mcabber. A console client that does not handle anonymous authentication, but handles the roster and the MultiUserChat.
- Weechat. An IRC client, but it can handle XMPP thanks to a plugin (does not handle anonymous authentication nor chatrooms for now).
- Primitivus, the console part of the Salut À Toi project.
- Other clients, not necessarily in console.
- Jappix, a web client that does not require any install and can then be accessed from anywhere.
Why is poezio released under the zlib licence, why did you choose to switch from GPLv3?
Even if poezio is clearly a free (as in freedom) software, and not just open source, we don’t want to forbid the reuse of part of its code in any other free software. GPL is incompatible with a lot of licenses and that forbids a lot of collaboration between different free softwares. The zlib license, however, lets the code be reused in almost anything, avoiding all the burdens of licensing issues.
Of course that also means that poezio can also be redistributed without the sources, but we trust users to value their freedom and avoid any such version.
What does “poezio” mean?
It’s “poetry” in Esperanto. And the reason why we named Poezio like this, is because a lot of softwares/library/documentation/protocol elements are named after things from literature. For example Prosody, stanza, all the references to Romeo and Juliet in the various XEPs…